Visit the San Juan, Batangas page for all information on San Juan.
The following is the History of San Juan, Batangas taken from the existing records of the Municipality of San Juan.
The Municipality of San Juan is also referred to as San Juan de Bolboc, which was derived from the word “Bolboc” meaning the location of a bubbling spring in the old town (Pinagbayanan). This was caused by the strong current coming from the rivers, Rio Bancoro and Rio Grande as it passed through the town.
Although Bolboc was created as an independent toen in 1843, it was not officially separated from its mother town, Rosario, until 1848. During the same year, it created its cabezas as a preliminary requisite for the collection of tributes. In the year 1848, San Juan was included in the official reports of the tributes of the Batangas Province. However, in 1948 there already prepared “Bolboc” with 2, 664 souls and in 1850, with 3, 082 souls.
San Juan was the biggest Barrio in the progressive town of Batangas, creditable to town executives. The Church played a decisive role in the settlement of the town San Juan from Pinagbayanan to its present site in 1890. In 1990, the town celebrated its centenary.
The Municipal presidents and mayors of San Juan had contributed to its development since 1902, when the elections were held after the government was changed from military to civil rule.
During the incumbencies of the municipal leaders, various developments were undertaken: introduction of the educational system and schools, establishment of the public market place, construction of the municipal building and plaza, water system, roads and bridges, municipal streets, barangay roads, health centers, and other infrastructure.
Last Updated: November 12, 2013